Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Give me your eyes so I can see....



It never ceases to amaze me how God works in our lives.  Just last night we began an intensive study on spiritual warfare.  I was a little nervous about beginning this study.  In the past when I have
really gotten into a study it's because God has been preparing me for something in life that I will need that study to draw upon. 

What comes to mind when you think of spiritual warfare?  Do images of Satan come to mind?  Do you picture demons?  How about the little angel on one shoulder and the little red man with a pitchfork on the other?  How do you feel about spiritual warfare?  Do you think it exists or just a bunch of nonsense?  Do you think there is a minute by minute unseen battle for your thoughts, emotions and your soul?

All of these questions and more have been rolling around in my mind for a few days now.  I am still trying to get a handle on how I feel about it all.  If I think about it too much it really can become terrifying and amazing all at once.  Last night's study painted a picture of Elisha praying for God to open the servant's eyes to the unseen world when they were under attack.  When his eyes were opened to the invisible realm he saw God had provided an entire army of angels to defend them.  Again and again the Bible talks about God sending visions, angels, and dealing with demons in the unseen world.  Why would today's world be any different?

I have no idea what this study may be preparing me for.  I believe it is no accident I am delving into this particular subject matter at this moment in time.  After dreaming about it all night and praying over it throughout the evening, I woke up early to read my devotions and pray.  Not one but two devotions I read regularly were BOTH on the same scriptures we studied last night.  Both mentioned 1 Peter 5:8.  Stay alert!  Watch out for your great enemy, the devil.  He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.....  I don't know about you, but that's not really a verse I like to hear a warning from 3 times in two days.  Clearly, God is up to something.

The other scripture mentioned last night and then today as well was Ephesians 6:10-12.  Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

I am intrigued at the battle that may be coming in my life.  I know God is preparing me and equipping me with the skills to do battle.  I know He will fight for me and there is nothing to be afraid of.  He has reminded me of the story of Gideon the last two days for a purpose.  Gideon was called to battle. He would take on 100,000 men.  Gideon had to cull down his already sparse army of 10,000 to 300.  In order to do so God told him to "separate those who lap the water with their tongues like a dog from those who kneel down to drink" (Judg 7:5)  Those soldiers who lapped water like a dog were soldiers who were more aware of the enemy around them compared to those who kneeled.  The lappers were men who were on constant guard to the danger around them.  They were prepared to do battle.

 I believe God is telling us
to be like them.  He is saying be sensitive to the spiritual dangers around us.  He has said go about your business, do not be afraid, but discern when the enemy is prowling about.  Be aware of the spiritual dangers around.

So I stand waiting, trying to be prepared for what I may not see coming.  I will try to stay alert so that I don't get caught unaware and fall into the trap.  I will continue to pour in the truth daily.  It is interesting that all of this comes when we have been struggling with what direction to take in the adoption.  We are a week shy of 10 months waiting with the average wait being 13-14 months.  I have been praying about adding a second attorney to the search. Possibly, this is part of the answer in that we need to trust God in what he is already working on for us instead of forging out on our own.  Regardless, I am sure it will all work out in His time.

No comments:

Post a Comment