Saturday, April 19, 2014

How can something so joyous be so sad?


It is holy week.  It is such a joyous and yet heavy time of year.  I have been reflecting on what it all means.  I have tried to wrap my mind around what it must have been like for Jesus these last few days anticipating the crucifixion.  He knew what was coming.  He knew each and every painful detail.  How terrifying it must have been to have each minute tick closer to a horrific death.  The literal weight of the world must have been on his sinless shoulders as he walked through the days of Passover.  The bible tells us Jesus actually sweat blood in anticipation of what was to come.  But he knew it must come to pass.  It would be the only way.  We are His portion and He is our prize...Oh how he loves us!

Love like that is almost unfathomable to me.  Our Savior's love is what Easter is all about.  It is truth lived out on earth.  It is the word coming to pass.  It is hundreds and hundreds of years of prophesy unfolding and coming to life so that you and I and all of future generations may live.  What an awesome God that would lay down his own blameless life for all of us.  

I think every year how in awe I am of what Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday all mean.  Every year I grow more intrigued with the events and the feelings that exude as these days pass by.  It is all so fascinating to me.  Every year I see the movies and relive the stories of old.  I re-read how it all unfolded, each step Jesus took, each event that our Father said would take place.  It is so mysterious, so mind blowing.  

As I was falling asleep last night I was walking through each step Jesus took on Good Friday.  I just cannot wrap my mind around how it must have felt to be mocked, stripped, ridiculed, beaten, and nailed to a cross for all to watch die.  It's huge.  The weight of it makes me so very sad.  It brings tears to my eyes and my heart aches.  Jesus had to pay a debt he never owed.  As I was laying in bed running through all of it, it occurred to me that most people just see it as another day.  The truth is that Good Friday marks a day that changed the world forever.  

Oh how He loves us!  He gave up everything for us so that we may live!  He died so that we may have redemption here on earth.  He laid down his life so that we would have everlasting life.  I am so grateful and so appreciative.  How awesome it is that we serve a God who cares so much, who knows us so well, and who would allow us to encounter his love on a daily basis.  How great!  How awesome is He!

This year at Easter I am simply amazed at the things God is doing in my life.  Every day I am renewed with joy as I get to meet my Father with no fear.  I, the insignificant girl who's actions each day grieve His heart, have been given a place of HONOR in His family.  We are all adopted as His children.  That is just awesome to me!  I am so thankful I get to walk with Him daily.  I am so very appreciative He allows me to bring every worry to Him, so very grateful He takes the time to know my heart.  I have the privilege to call him Abba, Father.  He made ALL of this possible through His suffering, not mine!  I will boldly and gladly get on bended knee to worship the Most High.  

My soul rejoices, my heart sings, and my light shines brighter this time of year knowing that my Redeemer lives.  He is risen!!  He is risen INDEED!!!

What does Easter mean to you??  I would love to hear how you and your family celebrate Easter!  

Happy Easter my friends!!


No comments:

Post a Comment